Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Project

This blog (I can't believe how many times I've typed that word this afternoon.....definitely more than I ever have in my entire life prior to this day) is really just serving as my guilty conscience to make sure I complete my project.  What project could this be?  Another annoying, yuppity, over eager, self-indulgent, "foodie" food blog?  I seriously hope not....if any of my writing ever comes close to needing such descriptors, tell me and I will shut this act DOWN!  Food memoirs used to be things of beauty....remembrances and tales of food and love.  MFK Fisher- I'm talking about YOU! 

And let's not forget dear Ms. Reichl (we had lunch, remember?)


I certainly am not crafting a food memoir.  But I CERTAINLY am not constructing a project so I can be the next "Julie and Julia"- THE WORST.  Granted, when I first read the book in hardcover at the tender age of 18, I couldn't get enough of it.  Oh the mistakes we make when we are young. 

WARNING: This project may appear similar in concept to that of "I'm going to cook my way through 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking,' abandon my husband and become self-obsessed." 

THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN!


My project:


I have carefully crafted an idea (or spent 30 minutes of my work day deciding this would be fun) to travel around the world from my miniature sized kitchen.  Literally, miniature- I live in an attic.  Not in a creepy "Flowers in the Attic" kind of way.  Just your "standard attic converted to 1-bedroom apartment in a carriage house built in the 1800s by the inventor of the internal combustion engine" kind of way.

As a volunteer coordinator, funds for global travel are LIMITED.  But whenever I have had the pleasure to journey about, I find myself eating my way through cultures.  So attempting to cook my way around the world seems like a very budget-friendly alternative.  

Though I am a fan of many classic pieces of literature, I have not read the book from which the title of this book is based.

My sincere apologies Monsieur Verne.    

And, I most certainly am not imposing an 80-day schedule for 80 meals.  That is ridiculous, absurd and something Julie (ugh) would do.  No- I am planning on taking at least now through the summer to explore the cuisines of the world.  More if need be.  I am not going to have a mental breakdown over a beef bourguignon.  This has, in fact, already happened on December 31st, 2009.  In frightening similarity to the story IN the aforementioned despised novel.  That is another tale entirely.

So, I have decided to begin my gustatory travels close to home, with our neighbors to the North.  And no, I am not starting with Canada simply because I am obsessed with Degrassi.


That's right, AUBREY GRAHAM!


As amazing as Ontario is, I have yet to find some delicious and savory recipe that is found ONLY within the Toronto metropolitan area.  So this weekend's very first endeavor will feature two very different Canadian territories: Newfoundland and Quebec (apologies for the lack of accent et gu....that is far too technically challenging).

I leave you salivating over these two words and part of my menu for this weekend: FIGGY DUFF. 









1 comment:

  1. I am loving this already!

    Also, I should add that the December 31st, 2009 incident proved DELICIOUS :)

    Hooray for KPOW!

    ReplyDelete